How to Care for your Hardwood Floors
Cleaning Your Floor
Regular care and maintenance will keep hardwood floors looking fabulous longer. Follow these guidelines:
- Vacuum or sweep to get rid of excess dirt and grime that could scratch the floor.
- Wipe the floor clean using a microfiber mop and specially made hardwood floor cleaner.
- Avoid using too much moisture when cleaning. Ordinary household soaps and detergents can be harmful to the hardwood.
- Avoid steam cleaners and floor scrubbing machines.
These simple guidelines will ensure a long and beautiful life for your hardwood flooring.
- Use exterior and interior walk off mats at all exterior entrances. Walk off mats should be routinely maintained to avoid becoming a soil source.
- Sweep and/or vacuum regularly to prevent build-up of dirt and grime.
- Promptly remove spills using hardwood floor cleaner and a clean cloth.
- Use felt protectors under chairs and heavy furniture.
- Our clients with a “no shoes rule” have had longer lifespans of their hardwoods.
- Keep pet’s nails trimmed and paws clean.
- Close drapes or blinds during hours of direct sunlight to avoid discoloration.
If you have any other questions on how to care for your hardwoods or you would like to inquire about an upcoming flooring project, contact Interior Surfaces.