Sometimes it’s just best to let the pictures do the talking . . .
Just like technology, there is always something new around the corner in flooring. Interior Surface is happy to present four new ideas that revolutionize the industry:
1. ENGINEERED WOOD FLOORING IS RESILIENT, FSC-CERTIFIED Craftwood is the newest product in Terra Legno’s Fumatto Collection, featuring a rich brown engineered hardwood material with an oil finish. Craftwood planks are 9/16 inch thick and 5 inches wide, with a micro-bevel edge style and low to medium shade variance. The material ranks 1360 on the Janka Hardness Scale and is designed to be durable, easy to clean, and color-stable over time. Planks can be professionally installed using adhesive or staples. All Terra Legno products are Forest Stewardship Council certified. Terra Legno – See more at: http://www.bdcnetwork.com/solid-foundations-12-fresh-flooring-options#sthash.qsJFnuyi.dpuf
2. WATERPROOF FLOATING FLOOR SUITS HIGH-TRAFFIC AREAS NuClic no-wax flooring is designed for high-traffic areas and can be installed over most existing floors with little or no preparation. The flexible, interlocking floating floor is not glued to the subfloor. NuClic is designed for easy maintenance and is highly resistant to most chemicals and stains. It can be cleaned with water and soap, resists bacteria infiltration, and is also mold-resistant (making it ideal for allergy sufferers). The durable 30-mil wear layer surface and tight waterproof seams help prevent dirt penetration. Products are backed by a 20-year commercial warranty. NuClic – See more at: http://www.bdcnetwork.com/solid-foundations-12-fresh-flooring-options#sthash.qsJFnuyi.dpuf
3. WARMING MATS ADD HEAT TO FLOORING SYSTEMS Emerson’s EasyHeat Warm Tiles Elite floor warming mats add soothing, energy-efficient heat to flooring systems. At less than 1/8-inch thick, the mats produce little height buildup and come in standard rectangular sizes as well as custom layouts of up to 138 sf. Mats can be ordered in either 120V or 240V configurations, with power input of up to 15 W/sf. Warm Tile Elite mats are UL- and CSA-approved and may be used in shower floors, steam rooms, saunas, and other wet areas. The mats are suitable for installation under ceramic, porcelain, terrazzo, glass mosaic, marble, and natural stone and agglomerates, as well as under engineered wood and laminated floors. Emerson – See more at: http://www.bdcnetwork.com/solid-foundations-12-fresh-flooring-options#sthash.qsJFnuyi.dpuf
4. NEW APP PROVIDES DETAILS ON IN-FLOOR CABLE MANAGEMENT H.H. Robertson Floor Systems has recently launched a free iPad application, Taking the Longer View. This interactive tablet brochure, free in the Apple App Store, showcases the company’s in-floor cable- and wire-management systems using video and web links, tap-to-zoom photography, interactive layout design, and an AIA continuing education course preview. In-floor cabling offers simple setup, sustainable design, and long-term flexibility and safety. Telecom, data, and power cables can be routed though trench headers and steel cells that double as structural support for the floor slab. Applications include offices, casinos, libraries, schools, and government buildings. H.H. Robertson – See more at: http://www.bdcnetwork.com/solid-foundations-12-fresh-flooring-options#sthash.qsJFnuyi.dpuf
Tajima is a global market share leader in high design, Luxury Vinyl Tile, Plank, Sheet, Loose Lay flooring products and Carpet Tile. In the US market, Tajima Flooring Inc. maintains its headquarters in Colorado and has warehousing/distribution facilities in Calhoun, GA and Reno, NV.
Tajima’s commitment to the environment extends into their flooring business where Tajima has used post-consumer recycled vinyl in their flooring products for over 20 years, long before it was considered “green”. All products sold in the US market are Floorscore Certified, meeting the highest indoor air quality standards.
In addition to having ecofriendly flooring products, Tajima’s new “Eco Bond” spray adhesive system is a Zero VOC, Floorscore certified adhesive which allows for faster installation, improved moisture production and pH protection. Plus Tajima floors installed with Eco Bond adhesive can tolerate point loads within hours and can a heat weld floors the same day they are installed. This adhesive spray cans are 100% recyclable and allows for the adhesive to be spread 7 times faster than typical troweled on adhesive.
What’s your take on this flooring product? Contact us at Interior Surface for more information.
Commercial businesses have a greater range of solid flooring made from recycled materials than before, according to an article in this month’s issue of the magazine Building Design and Construction.
According to BDW Senior Editor Julie S. Higginbotham, the latest innovations in commercial flooring products range from flooring that looks like stone to ceramic tile that’s warm to the touch.
The innovations include:
Craftwood, from Terra Legno, features a rich-brown engineered hardwood material with an oil finish. The material ranks 1360 on the Janka Hardness Scale and is designed to be durable, easy to clean, and color-stable over time. All Terra Legno products are Forest Stewardship Council certified.
Satura, from nora systems, a rubber floor covering, is designed for environments such as hospitals and universities. The tough, slip-resistant surface enhances comfort, eases maintenance and is Greenguard indoor air quality certified and Greenguard Children and Schools certified.
UniClic no-wax flooring is designed for high-traffic areas and can be installed over most existing floors with little or no preparation. The flexible, interlocking floating floor is not glued to the subfloor. UniClic is designed for easy maintenance and is highly resistant to most chemicals and stains. It can be cleaned with water and soap, resists bacteria infiltration, and is also mold-resistant. Products are backed by a 20-year commercial warranty.
Mannington Commercial has expanded its luxury vinyl tile with 78 new product choices, including 29 wood, 29 stone, and 30 abstract designs. New abstract designs incorporate the look of ceramics, glass, and worn metal. All Amtico products are backed by a 20-year commercial warranty. Products may be reclaimed and returned for closed-loop recycling.
Striations BioBased Tile, from Armstrong Commercial Flooring, received the Good Design award from the Chicago Athenaeum Museum of Architecture and Design. The award covers consumer products from Europe, Asia, Africa, and North and South America, and recognizes the product’s aesthetic features, durability, maintenance characteristics, sustainability, and price. Striations designs evoke the look of stone and weathered wood. BioStride is made of a polymer, derived from corn, as well as limestone and 10 percent pre-consumer recycled stone content.
If you’re concerned for the environment, you have many options to choose from! Which of these products seem to be something you would get behind to help the planet?
Here’s a static dissipative flooring solution that conducts itself accordingly. iQ Granit SD resilient flooring balances function with the aesthetics to keep people safer and more productive. It’s a high performance, homogeneous, permanently static dissipative resilient flooring with great aesthetics. iQ Granite SD has low electrical resistance, so it brings peace of mind that electrical charges will be dissipated throughout its lifetime.
- Low electrical resistance (10^6 to 10^9 ohms)
- Electrical charges will be dissipated throughout its lifetime
- Homogeneous construction
- 12 warm colors in a semi-directional pattern
- High performance
Johnsonite’s iQ™ flooring has been developed to meet clients’ demands for interior spaces that perform as a platform for productivity, offering the best modern flooring technology in the world. Read the fine print on iQ flooring products compared to other resilient flooring products. It’s a no wax, no finish product in — including high-traffic areas and entryways. No exceptions.
Resilient flooring products with a factory-applied polyurethane surface coating can perform for months or even years, depending upon maintenance, dirt exposure, and traffic volume and concentration. But then what? Eventually they require expensive maintenance, including extensive use of chemicals, stripping agents and higher water consumption — not good for the environment or bottom line.
iQ flooring is unlike any other resilient floor, utilizing the highest quality new technology in raw materials. It is not simply a factory-applied coating of polyurethane on the surface. The iQ technology results in a floor that never requires an applied wax for protection or to repair the surface. In fact, iQ technology results in restorative properties that can bring the surface to its original beauty, even after years of wear — for the life of the floor.
Over 360 million square yards have been installed and performing for over 35 years, worldwide. For more on this amazing flooring, watch this Youtube video:
What are your thoughts on this highly functional and resilient flooring? Want to give it a try? We would love your comments!
Someone once said, “The lines between fake and real have gotten really blurry.” They were talking about faux fur at the time. So, if we can make a fur look so real that wealthy wives are buying fake over the real, manufacturing can do just about anything. It’s understandable why someone would want a fake fur over a real one, especially an animal lover. But if you were installing wood, why wouldn’t you just go for the real deal?
Let’s just do a test: which of the wood floors here are fake and which are real?
OK, you were tricked because they are all fake! Yes, every one of them. If ceramic can be made to look like wood, what’s the advantage?
- All one has to say is the dreaded chips, nicks, and scratches with wood that you won’t have with tile.
- While wood can expand or crack in wet environments, tile resists moisture, allowing a wood look on decks, around pools, or in baths or kitchens.
- You can make those planks as wide and/or long as you want without paying out the wazoo. Modern looks call for wide planks, but let’s face it, those wide planks don’t fit within every budget. With tiles you can easily get widths of 8″, 12″, 16″, or even 20″.
- With tiles you can have radiant heating, anything else is just blowing warm dust around your house.
- Tile is super easy to clean and maintain.
- Tiles stay cool, which is a blessing over summer months or for those who live in warm climates.
There is a downside: tiles provide for less noise insulation (although cork underlayments and other under-tile insulators are available) and provide less comfort for those who are standing for long periods of time, although comfort mats are always an option. It’s also a good idea to keep a few extra tiles just in case you need to replace a chipped tile and the line of tiles you’ve bought is discontinued. Be super careful about your grout color; if the color is off, it will make it obvious that it’s tile right away.
Which do you prefer the real thing or fake and why?
Introducing: Mohawk “State of Mind” collection, a unique blending of carpet color, texture and aesthetic beauty, this line allows you to seamlessly go from space to space with unparalleled fluidity. With two collections, four patterns and a, to put it mildly, massive spectrum of “colorways”, the options are endless.
According to Mohawk, “The State of Mind Collection includes Amused—a groundbreaking pattern that redefines the modular floor effect with its 16 industry-first, gradated colorways—and Enthralled—a textured loop tile available in 14 colorways for when your space calls for elegant simplicity. Used separately, each creates a beautifully, simple aesthetic. When used in tandem, the textured continuous colors of Enthralled form the perfect bridge between the gradated colors of Amused, exponentially expanding the custom design possibilities of this collection.”
At Interior Surface, we here to help you sort through the options and help you design an impeccable floor that will not only last but look beautiful for your commercial space. Contact us www.interiorsurface.com.
“Vintage, revisited and revived for modern dwellings and public spaces – that’s the takeaway with American Heritage, Marazzi’s newest wood plank series in color body porcelain. The artisanal feel of hand-scraped, hand-oiled hardwood is authentically reproduced on a strong and durable porcelain body that withstands rigors – water, stains, freezing conditions – that are often the nemesis of real wood.” –Marazzi USA
The name alone will catch your eye: “Porcelain Wood.” Marazzi has developed a new type of plank that defies the effects of nature. You get all the beauty of wood but with the durability of stone. Talk about having your cake and eating it!
Janell Porter, of Interior Surface, says this new material is “beautiful and has the visually stunning aesthetics of wood, coupled with the durability of a porcelain stone. This is a breathtakingly beautiful product for any commercial space and is designer friendly. Architects and designers will love it!”
Marazzi uses 3-D digital print technique to permeate the surface of the tile. So you get the warm feel of real wood, while wide-plank sizes of 6 inches by 36 inches and 9 inches by 36 inches allow for minimal grout joints. The colors available for the stone “wood” tile are: Natural, Saddle, and Spice. Not only is this new Marazzi product beautiful and durable, it is responsible; it contains 21% recycled content. You can see more of the product online at http://www.marazzitile.com/series/american-heritage .
For more information, contact Interior Surface on this amazing product.